Prostate Cancer Information
The following national information for men and their families is a resource to raise awareness and support decision making.
Did You Know?
- Prostate cancer is recognised as an important health issue for men.
- For New Zealand men prostate cancer is the third most common cause of death from cancer (after lung cancer and bowel cancer)
- Some studies have shown family history as a risk factor for the development of prostate cancer. If a close relative has prostate cancer the risks of developing cancer increase.
- There is no national screening programme available for prostate cancer in New Zealand. However, “information about prostate cancer and prostate cancer testing remains under review by the Ministry of Health and interested groups”.
What Can I Do?
- Resources are available to help men decide whether to have a test for prostate cancer