Patient and Service Mapping
Patient and service mapping is an approach which is used to get a better understanding of how patients diagnosed with cancer move through the various health services and to look at ways to improve the services.
- capturing and understanding the patient's whole cancer journey
- establishing what, how and where services are provided
- identifying key issues for the patient and the service providers
- identifying possible gaps in service delivery
- measuring system performance
- identifying opportunities for service improvement
Information for patient and service mapping work comes from:
- patients, the only people who experience the whole cancer journey
- people involved in providing care to patients with cancer such as general practitioners, hospital staff, specialists and non-government organisations.